This page is a work in progress.
After a two-year hiatus where I wasn’t reading much of anything but the relentless news-cycle, something shifted in me since the new year and I finally returned to reading novels and poetry and non-fiction again. As a relatively new vegan, I have also begun to immerse myself in books and literature on the subject.
By ‘vegan,’ I mean books that explicitly address veganism; violence against, and exploitation of, non-human animals; animal justice and liberation; or any work that engages with the use, treatment, or lived experience of non-human animals in an overtly political and/or ethical way.
With that said, I will also apply a vegan lens to many of the other fiction and non-fiction books I review. Similar to how feminist literary criticism engages, evaluates and deconstructs classic and contemporary literature from the viewpoint of feminism, feminist theory, and/or feminist politics, I am concerned with the ways in which literature (and other cultural productions) reinforce anthropocentrism, speciesism, and the systemic oppression of non-human animals. I welcome any recommendations in this area, as it is a reading lens that I am completely new to, but very interested in delving into.
For many reasons, there is a dearth of fiction that explicitly tackles or engages with human cruelty towards animals as its main subject matter, so my reading list leans heavily towards non-fiction (exceptions will be indicated in bold parentheses). If you can recommend any novels, stories, or poetry in this category I would truly love to hear from you. Please come back and visit in the coming weeks and months as I post reviews of the following books and more!
- Animal Liberation: The Definitive Classic Of The Animal Movement by Peter Singer
- Animals and Women: Feminist Theoretical Explorations
- Aphro-ism: Essays on Pop Culture, Feminism, and Black Veganism from Two Sisters by Aph Ko and Syl Ko
- Beasts: Beginning of the End by Ana Levley (fiction)
- Beasts Of Burden: Animal And Disability Liberation by Sanaura Taylor
- Critical Animal Studies Reader: An Introduction to an Intersectional Social Justice Approach to Animal Liberation by Anthony J. Nocella II
- Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
- Eat Like You Care: An Examination of the Morality of Eating Animals by Gary L. Francione
- Ecofeminism: Feminist Intersections With Other Animals And The Earth by Carol J. Adams & Lori Gruen
- Experimental Animals (A Rreality Fiction) by Thalia Field (fiction)
- Fat Gay Vegan: Eat, Drink And Live Like You Give A Shit by Sean O’Callaghan
- Fellow Creatures: Our Obligation to the Other Animals by Christine M. Korsgaard
- Neither Man Nor Beast: Feminism And The Defense Of Animals by Carol J. Adams
- Sistah Vegan: Black Female Vegans Speak On Food, Identity, Health, And Society by A. Breeze Harper & Patrice Jones
- Sister Species: Women, Animals and Social Justice by Lisa A Kemmerer & Carol J. Adams
- The Animals by Christian Kiefer (fiction)
- The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons For Expanding Our Compassion Footprint by Mark Bekoff
- The Sexual Politics Of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory
- The Lives Of Animals by J.M. Coetzee (fiction)
- Veganism In An Oppressive World: A Vegans-Of-Color Community Project
- Vystopia: the Anguish of Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World by Clare Mann (vegan psychologist & communications trainer)