The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for lists.
August 15, 2011 § 4 Comments
Do you make lists when you’re nervous? I do.
I’m nervous. These are my lists:
Submit Indian Visa Application
- Learn how to say Go Away Mr. Snake/Spider/Tout in Malayalam and Hindi. And English.
Pack my currentlife into boxes (this is ½ done, yay me!).
- Make some friends who own houses with basements and garages.
- Move my life-in-boxes into bribed & buttered-up friend’s basements and garages.
- Purchase anti-malarials which you will probably forget or decline to take anyway.
- Light a candle against contracting Japanese Encephalitis (in a church of every faith just in case).
- Mend your Gluteus Medius Muscle Strain. Or else.
- Pack your new life into a 35L backpack.
- Buy airplane tickets.
- Go to the airport.
- Go to India.
- Have a rad time.
‘Books to Review Even Though You’re Too Busy But You Read Them So You Feel Compelled To Say Something About Them’ List. This is after all a book blog.
Regret not writing reviews as you go and letting things pile up so much they’re unlikely to get done.
- Molloy by Samuel Beckett.
- Jane Eyre by Emily Brontë.
- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
- The Shipping News by Annie Proulx.
- The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros.
- Tennessee William’s Notebooks.
- The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera.
- Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle by Dervla Murphy.
- On a Shoestring to Coorg: a Travel Memoir of India by Dervla Murphy.
- Along the Ganges by Ilija Trojanow.
- Eat lots of Voodoo Doughnuts, Oatmeal and Brown Sugar ice cream, Salted Caramel ice cream and anything else containing carbs and sugar. Especially wine and vodka and
cucumber lemonade gin with Saint Germain.
- Sit with your friends in places. Talk to them.
- Walk with your friends in spaces. Listen to them.
- Call your family. Tell them how nervous you are. Love them.
- Go to poetry readings in the park.
Sleep. Have a rad time.
- Savour each time you wash your hands in cold, clean, running water.
- Savour each time you accidentally swallow water in the shower.
- Savour each time you have a regular bowel movement and do not vomit after eating.
- Stop writing lists. Do the things on your list.
- Accept that you won’t be able to achieve everything on these lists.
- Accept that the book reviews may be the first thing you have to concede.